Wednesday, January 6, 2010

As I Lay...

Beep…Beep…Beep


As I lay here in my hospital bed, listening to the steady beep of the machine that tells those around me that my heart is still beating; I contemplate the approaching end of my life.


Beep…Beep...


I wouldn't be so arrogant as to claim that I have been a perfect person, I have committed my share of sins. But, I would say that it has been a good life.


Beep…Beep…


I married a beautiful person, had wonderful children, and even got to see my grandchildren grow. I glance over at these loved ones, who are all sound asleep in the chairs of this hospital room. The warmth emanating from them brings me so much comfort. Yes, it has definitely been a good life.


Beep….Beep….


I think those beeps are getting slower. It's like listening to a grandfather clock's final ticks, before it stops forever. Death will soon be here to take me in his cold embrace.


Beep….Beep….


Someone has entered the room. I look over to see not a doctor, or a nurse, but a dark cloaked figure holding a scythe.


"It is time."


"I know."


Beep….Beep….


He walks toward me…


Beep…Beep…


He is beside the bed; I can feel him gaze at me from under his hood. He raises his scythe; the site of it brings me both fear, and relief.


Beep…


He brings the scythe down, I close my eyes.


I am ready.


Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

4 comments:

vicious said...

omg !! it gave me the creeps ..i very well understand your source ..

keep writing dude !!

Paranormal ME said...

\,,/

vineet said...

by god awesum,kudos loved it,so well narrated.hope last day wil b like this only,satisfied!

Eve said...

that was awesomeeeee...hatsoff to u